Those who are suffering from this chronic disease will feel that their life is going downhill at a very fast pace. They will have increasing pain, frequent incidents of exacerbations in the disease, severe limitation to their activity. Research has shown that their activity limitation is quite severe and they soon become dependent on other people, especially their caregivers for all their daily needs including eating, toileting and even moving about within the house. Existing medications will help them to relieve certain symptoms, but they cause other complications because of the high doses in which these drugs are administered.
Cannabis or medical marijuana is very beneficial in the treatment of multiple sclerosis. It is given to the patients affected with multiple sclerosis only in small doses, but they have very far ranging benefits. There are no complications in the patient. The risk reward is more in favor of the reward and this is why many physicians prescribe this as a treatment option for multiple sclerosis.
The top 5 benefits of cannabis on multiple sclerosis are listed here:
1. Anti spasmodic: Spasm is a common limiting factor in multiple sclerosis. Sudden firing of the neurons in the brain can lead to excessive muscle action, leading to spasm. This can prevent any activity for a long time. Cannabis is a well known anti spasmodic agent. It intervenes with the brain functions, this limiting the excessive firing of the brain cells. This can help in preventing muscle spasm.
2. Anti depressant: Depression is common in those suffering from multiple sclerosis. Depression can occur because of the sudden severity of the disease which makes the affected person to become dependent. The other cause for depression in those with multiple sclerosis is the changes in the brain caused by the disease. Depression caused due to both the reasons mentioned here is prevented using anti depressants.
3. Anti inflammatory: The cannabis is also an anti inflammatory agent and prevents inflammation in the various parts of the body, mainly in the joints and muscles that cause pain.
4. Analgesic: Medical marijuana also acts as an analgesic and prevents pain. It also helps in the reduction of pain caused because of inflammation. It also reduces pain because of its anti spasmodic effect.
5. Prevents abdominal problems: Multiple sclerosis can also lead to severe abdominal discomfort due to constipation and abdominal pain. These can be prevented and also treated effectively when a prescription dose of medical marijuana is used.
These are the top ways in which medical marijuana helps in the treatment of multiple sclerosis.